Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Type of Land to Purchase?

Posted 5/8/2012 2:52:21 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/25/2014 5:46:58 AM
I live in WI and I'm looking to buy some land and build my own little honey hole and habitat for ducks and geese. My question is what type of land do I buy? Should I buy farm land? Swamp land? Timber? What's the easiest to convert into a wetlands with the least amount of DNR involvement or regulation? Any help would be great I'm only 26 and looking to make this a permanent heirloom for my kids and hopefully build a cabin as well... 

A wise men once told me, "Chicken tastes good but ducks are more fun to shoot!"
Post #767993
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 5/8/2012 9:46:42 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
great idea.

you didn't mention anything about money, but i assume that you have limits.

therefore, i would think farmland is out.  good ag land brings a high price tag these days.

timberlands also can be very pricey if the "timber" is of any value.

so that narrows it to swampland.  which is why i responded to this thread.

any properties i consider for purchase must have a source of water.  it must have hydric soil which has the ability to hold water. if the land is not "swampy", but hydric, the presence of water and some basic land manipulation can turn it into a duck mecca.  look for land that is fairly level. many good properties are over looked because they don't look swampy.  if it is flat and has any water source (even a stream that is a mere 2 feet wide can be worth gold for building a duck property) is worth looking at.

it is not difficult to build potholes or impoundments. it justs takes a good eye for finding a potential property. 

good luck.

if you find some possible sites, i'd be happy to advise you on their potential.

swamper 

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

Phil Robertson calls me for advice.
Post #768007
 Posted 5/12/2012 5:54:26 AM

Well I do have money constraints, I don't want to spend more than 75,000 and for that price I'd like to get as much property as I can.  I've ran across many different types of waterfowl management properties and I really like the idea of flooded crops (corn) and spring moist soil drawn down ponds, which are then flooded in the fall. I'm just trying to get an idea of property attributes that I should be looking for and what I need to stay away from.

Post #768067
 Posted 5/15/2012 9:01:00 PM

water manipulated impoundments, are for me, the best "bang" for your buck.  as i mentioned, a water source running through the property or a nearby source of water to use for flooding is a must.   and also as mentioned, hydric soils.

good luck 

Post #768140
 Posted 6/3/2012 4:40:47 PM

Last Login: 4/15/2014 12:12:02 AM
I'll include my very limited knowledge. I've never really messed with altering land...my farm has a slough that stays wet, and timber on the other side that naturally floods. But here is what I have seen from successful properties.
If you can find something close to a river, that would be great. From what I've seen, the ducks love to fly any river, and as they're following that flyway they will veer off onto your land to rest or feed or check out those sweet looking decoys you have out. Also, this will often give you a source of irrigation, controlled or not. (In my case, not!)
You talk about buying crop land to flood. You may be looking at a lot of work there. Are you going to lease out the land to a farmer to grow crops, and then work out an agreement to leave X acres for you to flood? Or are you already a farmer with a tractor and the time?
Doing work to improve habitat can be fun, but work equals time and money. If you can buy some swampland that already floods or has a slough that always holds water running through it, it will make your life easier. Good luck!!

"Old school hunters used to say...if you can't land 'em on the water, you're not a duck hunter."
Little Debbie Pro-staff
"No members currently viewing this forum!"
Post #768367
 Posted 8/9/2012 2:27:04 AM

Well I just found a piece of property that really has peeked my interest, it's 15 acres of low land which butts up to a river. There's a tree line about 2 acres wide which flood and is full of oak trees (dropping acorns). There seems to be good promise with this place, plus it's only about 5 miles as the crow flys from Horicon Marsh. I'll keep you posted on whether or not I'm able to purchase the property!

Post #769325
 Posted 8/9/2012 3:28:06 PM

please do keep us posted.  sounds interesting...good luck

Post #769334
 Posted 8/13/2012 10:01:13 AM

Last Login: 3/14/2014 5:42:58 PM
i would say anything with a river that goes threw it.were i hunt in wisconsin there just the slightest river running threw it.it been a woodie pot hole for as long as ive been hunting there and some years green head pour in there to.put after a few yrs looks like others have stumbled on to the spot making it hard to get to my spot befor others do.remember build them wood duck and mallard houses to set up on your land.
Post #769397