Versa Max or Benelli Vinci

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic771987.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tannerl9 - 2/11/2013 9:43:06 PM
Looking into getting either a Versa Max or a Vinci. Which do you think is the best??
By flannel - 2/12/2013 2:33:36 PM
Whatever fits you. Aside from that, you're comparing a softer shooting AMERICAN MADE gas gun that has won top awards from NRA, Field and Stream and American Rifleman AND is a DU sponsor, to an ITALIAN made hard kicking and extremely ugly "inertia" gun....just sayin. And YES, these are my personal preferences and YES I do own a Versa Max and love it. :D
By KappaSig1023 - 2/17/2013 5:16:38 PM
Go with the Vinci. I work at Academy Sports and Outdoors and I get to handle these guns on a daily basis.  Overall the Vinci is a much better feeling gun.  Its much much lighter and also has a much better shock absorbing system in the stock allowing for quicker and more accurate follow up shots in the event you need to.  At the Academy I work at in Hammond, Louisiana, we have the black vinci on sale right now for 899.88 so its also almost 300 cheaper than the versa max.  The only perk that I can see the versa max having over the vinci is that it will shoot three and a half inch shells whereas you would need to buy the super vinci to have that option.  Best thing to do would be go into a local gun retailer and hold each one to figure out which one feels better to you.  Like I said before, in my opinion, the vinci is the better bang for your buck and overall a much better gun.
By dloeks - 3/4/2013 12:56:43 PM
Yeah, are you talking super vinci or just the vinci?  You can get a fair price on a regular Vinci but some places will try to hit you for the same price as a versa and you still can't load 3.5".  If cost isn't an option, go pick up a few guns and see how they feel.  That's how I decided to go with my versa.  There are some horror stories with versas as far as defects but most of that is in the past.  I had a bad magazine cap on mine but Remington's customer service was great and sent me the part free of charge.  

Aside from that business, I love my versamax and so do my hunting partners.  So much so that I have to fight to get it out of their hands...long story short, when you get upwards of $1200 or so for a shotgun and you don't mind paying a little more or a little less then you just have to go and shoulder a few(even ones you aren't thinking about buying) and see how they feel.  In that price range it'll all just be details compared to the feel of the gun.
By USMC0341 - 6/1/2013 9:56:19 PM
I've been using the super Vinci since it came out and I love it! It fits well, fires smoothly, and when firing the shock absorbent is so good I can't tell the difference between 2 3/4 and 3 1/2!
By Duckcall32 - 7/18/2013 1:19:31 AM
I have a super nova and LOVE IT  just as good as Vinci but less money!!!!
By usmc duck man - 7/18/2013 5:24:37 AM
the new a 5  is in the same price range had mine and it is great
By Airborne28 - 8/7/2013 7:17:23 AM
Buy a Beretta A400. Way better
By Dolce - 12/3/2013 4:09:11 PM
I own the Nova and is an excellent comfortable gun. May look ugly to some but its got good quality parts, steel is excellent and is extremely comfortable in all shooting positions worth the money.
By Big Boy - 12/3/2013 6:19:53 PM
versamax. man's gun
By duckhunter99 - 12/7/2013 6:16:20 PM
Get the super Vinci 
By Jerret - 12/8/2013 9:36:57 AM
think about a Winchester sx3 you can get one for around $1000 and best bang for your buck had mine for 2 years and love it
By tristarhunter - 12/12/2013 2:37:03 PM
Versa Max but if I were you I would go for the SBE2
By kmhenry77 - 8/16/2014 11:49:15 AM
The Super Vinci is truly in a different league than the Remington, I owned them both.  Super Vinci all the way...
By michaelm - 10/23/2014 8:29:41 PM
I have a versa max sportsman and my buddy has the vinci. I think both are good guns. It just depends on whether you like gas or inertia better. MY versamax sportie shoots good and doesn't kick at all, although my buddies vinci kicked super hard. i didnt like how hard it kicked but I'm a remington guy, i have had no problems with my versamax sportsman and I love it. I paid $1030 for it and definitely worth it
By flyfisher76544 - 10/24/2014 11:45:04 AM
As stated earlier you honestly need to go and see which one "shoulders and feels" good to you. Both are great guns and will do what you want. I have the Vinci and it has never let me down. 
By Jeff - Mars - 10/24/2014 6:07:59 PM

I was in the same boat. I found a shooting range/ gun store and they had demo’s to shoot and I triedboth and everything else they had.  Iended up going with SBE II.  It just feltbetter.  Now granted I had been saving for a while and landed of a slightly used one for $600.00.  If you around the Houston areaCarter’s Country is a good place and had demo’s the last time I was there. 

By derus96 - 11/5/2014 6:19:10 AM
Never shot the Vinci but I own a VM and in the 2 years I've had it, it's been in the shop twice. First time was the end of opening morning it threw the bolt handle right off the gun and into the swamp. Didn't get that back. Called Remington, they told me it was a common problem with early runs of the gun. Told me I could send it in and they would replace the handle. As anyone knows bolt handle is a really simple part to install so I just had them send me the replacement. The guy also said they were having problems with the mag cap coming loose so he sent me a new one of those also. Aside from the handle flying out I was pretty content with the service.

But 2 weekends ago I was out hunting again and the link assembly snapped inside the gun. And when it cycled the bolt scrapped the link against the inside of the receiver and left a huge scar in the metal, as well as the butt stock immediately came loose from the receiver. Called Remington again, told them what happened and that I wanted the gun replaced because this is the 2nd time it has failed on me in the field and that when the link failed it caused damage to other parts of the gun. They said I had to send it in to be looked at by one of their certified dealers before they could authorize anything, and that all of the stuff I told them would be sent to the dealer. I sent it in, arrived the next day. It arrived on Wednesday, I called up Friday to see what was going on. The guy working on it was off that day but another guy said the notes say 'Replaced Link Assembly.' So I called back the following Monday and talked to the guy working on it. He said the only thing Remington sent him was replace link assembly instructions and that because the damage to the inside of the receiver won't cause any functional issues that it is a non issue. I told him I wanted the receiver replaced at a minimum and I would like the entire gun replaced because of the pain in the a** it has been. He agreed and is calling Remington to see if they will authorize that. I'm expecting to hear a call back today as to what is going to happen. 

But anyways when the VM is working it is a fantastic gun, good weight, easy to handle, virtually no recoil even with big 3.5" BB goose loads. But in the 2 years I've had it and of the about 6 - 8 weeks a year of good hunting we get, it has put me on the shelf for about 25% of them. 

So take from that what you will, if anyone is interested I can follow up with how Remington Customer Service handles this issue. 
By flannel - 11/5/2014 8:43:47 PM
derus96 (11/5/2014)
Never shot the Vinci but I own a VM and in the 2 years I've had it, it's been in the shop twice. First time was the end of opening morning it threw the bolt handle right off the gun and into the swamp. Didn't get that back. Called Remington, they told me it was a common problem with early runs of the gun. Told me I could send it in and they would replace the handle. As anyone knows bolt handle is a really simple part to install so I just had them send me the replacement. The guy also said they were having problems with the mag cap coming loose so he sent me a new one of those also. Aside from the handle flying out I was pretty content with the service.

But 2 weekends ago I was out hunting again and the link assembly snapped inside the gun. And when it cycled the bolt scrapped the link against the inside of the receiver and left a huge scar in the metal, as well as the butt stock immediately came loose from the receiver. Called Remington again, told them what happened and that I wanted the gun replaced because this is the 2nd time it has failed on me in the field and that when the link failed it caused damage to other parts of the gun. They said I had to send it in to be looked at by one of their certified dealers before they could authorize anything, and that all of the stuff I told them would be sent to the dealer. I sent it in, arrived the next day. It arrived on Wednesday, I called up Friday to see what was going on. The guy working on it was off that day but another guy said the notes say 'Replaced Link Assembly.' So I called back the following Monday and talked to the guy working on it. He said the only thing Remington sent him was replace link assembly instructions and that because the damage to the inside of the receiver won't cause any functional issues that it is a non issue. I told him I wanted the receiver replaced at a minimum and I would like the entire gun replaced because of the pain in the a** it has been. He agreed and is calling Remington to see if they will authorize that. I'm expecting to hear a call back today as to what is going to happen. 

But anyways when the VM is working it is a fantastic gun, good weight, easy to handle, virtually no recoil even with big 3.5" BB goose loads. But in the 2 years I've had it and of the about 6 - 8 weeks a year of good hunting we get, it has put me on the shelf for about 25% of them. 

So take from that what y ou will, if anyone is interested I can follow up with how Remington Customer Service handles this issue. 

crazy, mines been flawless and even got me another band and a canvasback today!
By Will Murphy - 11/5/2014 10:43:38 PM
I thought about both of these guns before I got my SBEII. Although I've read good things about the Versamax online, everyone I've talked to in a gun store only have bad things to say about it. The vinci is a quality gun, but if your hands are big, then the trigger guard is gonna bash your fingers every time you shoot. I got the SBEII because although it's expensive, it's a long-lasting, high-quality gun. So in short, get the SBEII
By derus96 - 11/6/2014 10:43:42 AM
A guy I hunt with has an SBE II and he loves it. A lot of things I read were saying the early runs of the VM weren't the greatest but they 'claim' to have ironed out the bugs with the more recent runs of them. When the guns working I love it, I want remington to stand behind it now that it isn't working.