stoeger m3500 shells and choke tubes

http://ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic771953.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By stoeger3500 - 2/9/2013 9:52:11 PM
im looking at getting an extended choke for my stoeger but since i cant test them before i buy it anyone have any info to narrow my search and possibly what shells i will patern it just dont want to buy a million different things thanks
By BDhunter - 2/10/2013 12:52:20 AM
im in the same boat you are with my gun.im going to try a carlsons choke first there cheap and have many good reviews.i only use cheap ammo.good luck.
By Duckhunter64 - 3/16/2013 4:26:37 PM
I bought the Jelly Head for mine for Turkey season patterns out of this world.  
By DuckDestroyer - 5/30/2013 5:08:54 AM
I use the Carlson's waterfowl choke tubes in mid and extended range in my M3500 they make a difference no question
By hammer1 - 5/30/2013 7:59:48 AM
i had a carlson extended modified for my m2000. still have the choke but i sold the gun. it worked great on doves,ducks and geese. cant beat the price of carlson euther.
By stoeger - 10/23/2013 9:46:51 PM
I shoot heavy metal through a hevi shot choke tube. bought both mid range and extreme range for 100 bucks at macks prairie wings
By Windjammer - 11/9/2013 5:48:27 AM
I used the Kicks (before they sponsored Duck Commander) High Flyer with great success. I have been using Kent Fasteel for years, and have had fantastic results with it. It's clean, low recoil and my gun has cycled every single round  I put through it.
By Honker-Konker - 11/14/2013 8:44:06 PM
I really believe Carlson choke tubes perform just as good as the higher priced choke tubes. I use Carlson chokes for everything I hunt with a shotgun which includes, ducks, geese, turkeys, and doves.

I've had good luck with Federal Speed Shock 3in #2, 3.5in #1, and 3.5in BB for my waterfowl hunting. But of course this is only what works for me and may not work for you.
By Tucked In - 12/28/2013 7:16:05 AM
When purchasing the Carlson choke tubes for the 3500, did you go with the one made for the Benelli brand? 
By talley2191 - 12/30/2013 1:41:23 PM
Tucked In (12/28/2013)
When purchasing the Carlson choke tubes for the 3500, did you go with the one made for the Benelli brand? 

Yes, using the modified version and like it a lot. Good luck. 
By dharris2488 - 1/1/2014 1:30:26 PM
I shoot a M3000, as I don't need the ability to shoot 3.5" shells.  I love the gun once I figured out how to operate it correctly in the field! (That little silver tab has to be pushed in after loading new rounds, found out the hard way of course!)  I purchased the PatternMaster Anaconda Close Range (decoying ducks) and noticed that my shot was blowing out on me around 25-30 yds.  Anything inside 30 yds, chances are it's going down, and down hard.  Past that, no chance...  AMAZING close range choke.  With that being said, I went out and bought a Carlson's mid range and haven't taken it out of my gun yet.  It hammers the ducks close, but I also shot a GreenWing Teal the other day that was 65-70 yds out (it surprised me when I saw if fall) and dropped him.  I can't imagine what the extended range would do for me.  I suppose it would make for an awesome goose choke.

Very impressed with the Carlson tube, mid range.  Anaconda, still up in the air with it.  PatterMaster told me to shoot #1 or BBB through it to get out to 40 yds.  I like to eat my ducks after i kill them, and that shot size is just too big for what I shoot down here (Lots of Woody's, Teal, and other smaller ducks).  I'm probably going to package up the Anaconda and sale it to someone who wants it, as I will make a decent offer.  With that money, I will go buy a Carlson's close range tube...

As far as ammo is concerned, I opened up about 10-12 different mfg's shot shells to actually look at what I was sending down the barrel. Pretty amazing and interesting results from opening up my ammo.  I came to the conclusion that my gun (M3000), with the Carlson's mid-range choke, Remington's Nitro Steel 3" #3, 1 1/4 oz. which had 15% more shot in it than Winchester's Xpert Steel Shot (same specs as the Remington load), came out for the perfect combination for me.  Don't confuse the NitroSteel with the HyperSteel. 

The 3", #2, 1 1/4oz. Winchester Xpert load had shot sizes from #4 or #6 all the way to BBB in the same load! Unbelievable they actually sell that stuff, as Federal and Remington also have "budget friendly" shells that are actually uniform and contain anywhere from 10-20% more shot.  Those extra pellets count in the field, when all it takes is one pellet to kill a bird. Open a few up and take a look at it.  Or I can send you pictures.   All the shells I opened were the same shot sizes, same length, and same load.  Crazy results...  Before you pattern, take a look at what you are shooting.  Trust me, it matters...

I also had good patterning with the higher end ammo as well through the Carlson's tube. Haven't patterned my PatternMaster with the higher end shells yet.  It's on my to do list this week!  Hevi-Shot and believe it or not, Winchester BlindSide patterned well through the Carlson tube.  I didn't really care too much for Black Cloud, as it definitely put a ton of shot within my 30" ring, but there were holes in the pattern over 4-5" in size all throughout the circle.  Hevi-Shot and BlindSide did not do this and these two would be my preference with the high end stuff, as the spread was much more uniform than BlackCloud's. 

It's all up to you and how much you want to spend.  Honestly, if I was starting from scratch, knowing what I know today, I would purchase all three Carlson's waterfowl tubes (Close Range, Mid, and Extended Range) and I would stick with the Remington Nitro Steel #3's for duck.  AMAZING combination and results out of my M3000.

Sorry for the long post, but I did a ton of research on this topic about a month ago.  I have results, results, and more results.... if interested.