4HEALTH Dog Food

http://ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic771830.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By chadandy12 - 2/1/2013 8:31:55 AM
I am switching my dog to this food from Pro Plan Performance (now sport 30/20) ingredients look better, price is better only down side is it only available at Tractor Supply (close to my home fortunatly for me). I am switching to 4health performance which is also 30/20 and for your comments I am copying the info here. Anyone else tried this stuff? Comparing ingredients its better than PPP and better priced. I got 35lbs bag for 35 bucks was paying 50 for PPP 37.5lbs.

From the Bag

4health™Performance Formula for Adult Dogs is specifically formulated to meet the nutritional needs of your highly active sporting or working dog. With 30% protein and 20% fat, this energy dense formulation will help keep your active dog in ideal lean body condition while supporting the strength and stamina that active dogs need.

• Great Taste - Fresh chicken satisfies your dog's taste preference.
  • Antioxidant Formulation - Contains guaranteed levels of vitamin E and selenium for optimal antioxidant nutrition.
  • Contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin - Contains 600 mg/kg glucosamine hydrochloride and 200 mg/kg chondroitin sulfate.
  • Omega Fatty Acid Nutrition - A blend of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids helps keep the skin and coat healthy and shiny.
  • Natural Fiber Blend - Dried plain beet pulp and dried chicory root work together to help support healthy digestion.
  • Natural Grains - A blend of rice and barley provides optimal carbohydrate nutrition.

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried plain beet pulp, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 30.0% (min.), Crude Fat 20.0% (min.), Crude Fiber 3.0% (max.), Moisture 10.0% (max.), Zinc 150 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 3.3% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% (min.), Glucosamine* 600 mg/kg (min.), Chondroitin Sulfate* 200 mg/kg (min.),

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile.

Caloric Content:
4,019 kcal/kg (376 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

By rtcbob - 2/4/2013 7:37:26 PM
You may want to consider the fact that 4Health is produced by Diamond Pet Foods.  Do some research on the FDA's website and you will find that Diamond has had as many or more recalls than most every other brand.  I agree that 4Health has a good ingredient list and gets good reviews, but since Diamond seems to just keep coming out with new labeling (Taste of The Wild is another one) and in short order is involved in yet another recall, I refuse to take the chance.  I fed Diamond years ago, and was very happy with how my dogs did on it, but one of their recall issues cost me a substantial sum in vet bills (around $800 as I recall).  I was one of the lucky ones, many people's dogs died.  Diamond claimed at the time that they would reimburse every penny I spent at the vets.  I submitted a well documented claim.  After 2 years of pressing the issue with them, and never getting a dime, I finally gave up.

I'll never feed another Diamond product again.
By rtcbob - 2/5/2013 3:27:08 PM
Here's a link to some info on recent Diamond recalls.  Includes 4Health and Taste of The Wild as well as Diamond labeled foods.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-dog-food-recall-expands-again/

If you go to FDA's web site you'll notice that MANY brands have had recalls, but very few, maybe none, as many as Diamond.  Even Blue Buffalo was on the list.

I discovered today that I apparently need to also explore changing dog foods.  I switched from Pro Plan several years ago for a number of reasons.  I switched then to Nutro Max.  Wasn't particularly impressed with Nutro, but satisfied.  Stopped at Tractor Supply today to get more and noticed that at least my store is discontinuing all Nutro products.  They are now carrying Source, made by Ainsworth (may just be a re-branding of the old VF dog foods).  I've just started researching them, but so far I like what I see.  Not thrilled about the $50 for 30 lbs but if it's good, safe food, so be it.  I guess I'll be giving that a try.
By chadandy12 - 2/6/2013 7:53:57 AM
Thanks for the info, we did end up switching him to the 4health brand performance blend and he switched over from PPP very nicely. I will prob leave him on this for a while and do some more research on other foods in the mean time. I donlt want to switch him again this soon cause he does seem to have stomach issues with food switching in the past. I would love to feed him home made food but its just not realistic, I agree it seems like diamond has a bad rap with recalls which is alarming but the 4health was just so tempting due to the ingredients and price. Let me know if you find anything interesting with your investigating. Thanks again.
By beanboy - 2/20/2013 10:33:45 PM
I have been using it for about a year with no problems.  
By chadandy12 - 2/21/2013 9:30:36 AM
Glad to hear, my dog has been on it for almost a month now and is doing great! Switch was no problem at all.