Which gun should i get? A Remington 887 or a Stoeger model 2000.

http://www.pa.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic765291.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 07291826 - 12/30/2011 8:00:01 PM
I am planning on buying one of these two guns but i'm not sure which would be better. The Remington 887 can take 3 1/2's and is a pump. The Stoeger 2000 can shoot 3's and is semi auto which would be best for me to get?
By Kurt L - 12/31/2011 12:30:04 PM
I would avoid both of those models they are both known for having problems, I would save up for a Beretta 3901 or look at the Stoeger 3500 or even the Mossberg 930 in an Auto, and for a Pump I would look for a good used Wingmaster or an Express. There is nothing worst than buying a new gun only to find out you got a lemon.

Kurt
By Gunman21 - 12/31/2011 4:03:52 PM
I say remington 887. Ive had it for awhile and hasent had a problem yet. Its a ridiculously durable gun..been through EVERYTHING you can throw at it. and killed many ducks and way more to come. Probably one of the best buys ive ever had. Yes there is some issues with some of the guns, but almost every gun does, and the problem is an easy fix (ive never had a problem). Even the almighty Benelli (personally dislike) has had serious problems. Remington and mossberg make great guns and they will last you for a long time and for a good price. Ive owned just about everything and i personally love my Remington 887. As for the stoeger, i would say no to that. Has way more problems and not really that durable for duck hunting. Where as the 887 is the ultimate weather resistant gun. Ive dropped it in the water, took it out and killed some woodies right after. Now i am speaking off of my own knowledge and personal experiences with weapons and other friends opinions. But i can firmly say the 887 is one of the best guns ive ever had and will have. Good shootin!

"Here come the ducks"
By flannel - 12/31/2011 4:44:35 PM
I think Kurt gave you solid advice, as both those guns are known lemons (google owner reviews to see for yourself). Save up and get something decent and you will NEVER regret it!
By Trackmyer - 12/31/2011 5:24:31 PM
I agree with a couple earlier posts.  The Stoeger 2000 has issues.  Two of my hunting buddies have the 2000.  From what they tell me, there is a pin in the receiver that has a tendency to fall out.  One guy already lost his pin, and is back using his older gun.  The other fella super glued his in, and seems to be ok for now (I personally would not suggest using super glue on a receiver, but that's just me).  When I was looking into getting a good, inexpensive auto I looked at a bunch, and bought a Berreta 3901.  The manual says to break it in with fifty rounds, the gun seems to be more fluid as it breaks in.  I kinda liked that, gets better with age type of thinking.  I have run about 600 rounds of low brass thru mine.  As well as about 200 rounds of high brass, and probably 150 rounds of steel high brass.  Not a single issue, no misfires, no ejection problems, no feed issues.  Cycles everything smoothly.  I've used it to kill Pheasant and Chukkars this fall, and Ducks n Geese this winter.  Its been wet, muddy, had goldenrod, and field dust in it, and no issues.  Being a military vet, I am kinda anal bout my guns.  I completely strip it down after every time out, all pieces look as good now as they did when I first bought it.  The gun says made in USA, but the barrel has Made in Turkey, stamped on the top.  Either way, for less than 600 bucks for a 12 gauge, 3" auto, I am very pleased.
By ryantaylor - 1/3/2012 12:45:46 PM
Can't intelligently speak about the 887 but I can about the M2000 and it is a spectacular gun.  Break it in and clean it according to the manual and it will serve you great.  I put a dot of locktite on the shell extractor screw just to make sure that it never backs out.  My friends who have the same gun have not and haven't had an issue.  I also read that the M2000 has had less failures as a precentage of guns sold than the Benelli Super Black Eagle II.  I can't find the source so take that with a grain of salt.
By quackofdawn - 1/19/2012 9:52:17 AM
I agree with Kurt, if you want a pump get you a solid 870 Express.  The Beretta 3901 is a great semi and even though it comes in a synthetic black it can easily be wrapped.  New to the forum and relatively new to waterfowl, but done my fair share of upland game shooting (Dove primarily).  Can't go wrong with a Remington for sure.

Drew 
By Army of Dad - 1/19/2012 10:10:22 AM
I bought an M3500 this year and I love it.  The only failure was my fault (did a compression check and didn't slam the bolt home). One negative, is that it isn't as easy to break down as my 870.  I wanted a semi auto that could shoot just about everything you can in 12 gauge and this fit the bill and the budget.  It is only a bit more than a M2000 and I think worthy of a look if you are looking for a gun in that price range.
By Honker-Konker - 1/23/2012 10:52:02 PM
Both great guns but I would recommend the Stoeger 3500 over both of them. I just got my 3500 in August of 2011 and haven't put it down since. It probably took me about 100 shots to break it in but now it will shoot anything you can put in it. I've shot 2 3/4in 1oz dove loads with no cycling problems and then gone out the next morning and shot 3 1/2in 1 3/8oz goose loads with no cycling problems. It has cycled in temperatures ranging from 90*F all the way down to 15*F with no hang ups. After you get it broke in it's gonna go boom, boom, boom every time. Plus it comes with shims to adjust the stock, 5 different choke tubes, and it's taped and comes with a weaver style scope mounting base. With all those goodies it makes this a hard deal to pass up.
By texduk3 - 1/28/2012 7:43:07 PM
I just got my 887 back from Remington.

(needed to have a new bolt and trigger assembly.

Had cycling issues and firing pin not hitting the primer).

All worked well today.
By flannel - 1/28/2012 8:43:12 PM
texduk3 (1/28/2012)
I just got my 887 back from Remington.

(needed to have a new bolt and trigger assembly.

Had cycling issues and firing pin not hitting the primer).

All worked well today.

YAY! :D
By Quacks&Tracks - 1/31/2012 9:57:57 PM
I think anyone buying a waterfowl piece today should consider whether there is a remote possibility of ever shooting geese. If so, a 3.5" capability is a good thing to have. I bought a M3500 and have run hundreds of shells thru it. For a moderate priced gun, it is as good as any as I have shot. I've tried a few. Over the years, Remington has been an emotional favorite. I've got 4 Rems (shotguns) right now. I've been tempted by the Versamax but I've heard so much... Started shooting at ducks in 1978. Started hitting some a couple years later.
By wk88 - 4/9/2012 12:42:28 PM
i agree with some of the other guys i would go with the 870 over those two, but if you want a good less expensive semi-auto check out the remington 11-87. i've had mine for 2 seasons now and it does everything that my buddies benelli does. just an idea.
By Base - 5/3/2012 7:07:49 AM
Well its official, The m3500 made NRA shotgun of the year,   for the life of me atm i Cant rermember what made American Rifleman
By WoodDuck87 - 7/15/2012 9:13:37 PM
Okay here is what you have to look at.  How often are you going to use it?  I would avoid the piece of junk stoegers.  I have a gunsmith buddy who works on them all the time.  Everyone says its like a Benelli.  Unfortunately, if you sell Benelli you have to sell the junk called stoeger.  If you are planning on shooting it alot and hunting alot get a Remington 870 and not the 887.  The 870 is solid.  Yeah it doesn't shoot 3 1/2s.  But are you shooting at MOOSE DUCKS?  LOL.  3 inch is all you need.  Heck 2 3/4 loads will do it.  If they are coming in, you don't need a 3.5 mag.  I do alot of shooting.  3000 plus shells a year with hunting, sporting clays, competitions and I do it all with one gun.  I've been hard on my Benelli.  But, my remington 870 held right in there also.  In the end, it all depends on you.  Get what you want.  Opinions are opinions.  But remember this.  Are your opinions coming from someone who has shot their gun a total of 25 shots or has he/she actually used that gun for what it was meant for?  Armchair "birdwatchers" compared to chest-deep duck droppers.    
By flannel - 7/16/2012 11:07:12 AM
WoodDuck87 (7/15/2012)
Okay here is what you have to look at.  How often are you going to use it?  I would avoid the piece of junk stoegers.  I have a gunsmith buddy who works on them all the time.  Everyone says its like a Benelli.  Unfortunately, if you sell Benelli you have to sell the junk called stoeger.  If you are planning on shooting it alot and hunting alot get a Remington 870 and not the 887.  The 870 is solid.  Yeah it doesn't shoot 3 1/2s.  But are you shooting at MOOSE DUCKS?  LOL.  3 inch is all you need.  Heck 2 3/4 loads will do it.  If they are coming in, you don't need a 3.5 mag.  I do alot of shooting.  3000 plus shells a year with hunting, sporting clays, competitions and I do it all with one gun.  I've been hard on my Benelli.  But, my remington 870 held right in there also.  In the end, it all depends on you.  Get what you want.  Opinions are opinions.  But remember this.  Are your opinions coming from someone who has shot their gun a total of 25 shots or has he/she actually used that gun for what it was meant for?  Armchair "birdwatchers" compared to chest-deep duck droppers.    

The 870 supermag does.
By Honker-Konker - 7/25/2012 12:34:27 AM
WoodDuck87 (7/15/2012)
I would avoid the piece of junk stoegers.  I have a gunsmith buddy who works on them all the time.  Everyone says its like a Benelli.  Unfortunately, if you sell Benelli you have to sell the junk called stoeger.  .    

I'm gonna have to disagree on this. Sure the M2000 were not worth the money but not all Stoegers are M2000's. The M3500 I bought last August was put through an absolute torture test by me last year. It started the test in August with clay shooting, September with teal, geese, and dove, and the test ended in March with a snow goose hunt. From August all they way until March that gun was used hard. That gun saw everything from 90 degree sunny hot days, rain, freezing rain, snow, and sub zero temps without fail. It even became a boat paddle when the trolling battery decided it was too cold to work. It will spit out 2 3/4in 1oz dove loads and 3 1/2in 1 9/16oz goose loads with no problems and without having to change a thing. I do clean in religiously after each use even if it's just a hand full of shells. Every gun company puts out a turd now but without those turds can be a gun worth it's weight in gold. Sure the M3500 is no Benelli but it's a close second and at a fraction of the cost. I'm no weekend warrior either that just shoots 15 shells on the weekend. I'm out almost every morning of the season chasing waterfowl like my life depended on it. 
By flannel - 7/25/2012 11:41:37 AM
Honker-Konker (7/25/2012)
WoodDuck87 (7/15/2012)
I would avoid the piece of junk stoegers.  I have a gunsmith buddy who works on them all the time.  Everyone says its like a Benelli.  Unfortunately, if you sell Benelli you have to sell the junk called stoeger.  .    

I'm gonna have to disagree on this. Sure the M2000 were not worth the money but not all Stoegers are M2000's. The M3500 I bought last August was put through an absolute torture test by me last year. It started the test in August with clay shooting, September with teal, geese, and dove, and the test ended in March with a snow goose hunt. From August all they way until March that gun was used hard. That gun saw everything from 90 degree sunny hot days, rain, freezing rain, snow, and sub zero temps without fail. It even became a boat paddle when the trolling battery decided it was too cold to work. It will spit out 2 3/4in 1oz dove loads and 3 1/2in 1 9/16oz goose loads with no problems and without having to change a thing. I do clean in religiously after each use even if it's just a hand full of shells. Every gun company puts out a turd now but without those turds can be a gun worth it's weight in gold. Sure the M3500 is no Benelli but it's a close second and at a fraction of the cost. I'm no weekend warrior either that just shoots 15 shells on the weekend. I'm out almost every morning of the season chasing waterfowl like my life depended on it. 

I'm certainly no fan of Stoegers (or Benellis for that matter), but from what I gather the M3500 is a very solid gun and a complete turn around from the M2000. Not a bad deal, especially for the price tag.
By JTFrisque - 7/25/2012 6:59:40 PM
Everyone will tell you go with an 870 cause it will last forever but ever since remington was bought by Freedom Arms I dont think I'd ever buy anothe remington. I've had too many problems with the extractor on my 870 to say get another one.
By Base - 8/24/2012 9:23:10 PM
flannel (12/31/2011)
I think Kurt gave you solid advice, as both those guns are known lemons (google owner reviews to see for yourself). Save up and get something decent and you will NEVER regret it!

X2,   the M2000  has issues, the M3500 was NRA's gun of the year for 2011. good luck this year and be safe.
By 4thWardQuacker - 9/14/2012 8:56:34 PM
I've hunted with my m2000 for three full seasons in south Louisiana and have yet to experience an issue. My hunting partner has a SBE 2 and mine does what his at a third the price. Great gun for the money. But fit and finish is not Bennelli despite the similarities. I just duracoated mine and it looks sick. Will try to post pic. 
By 4thWardQuacker - 9/16/2012 5:37:18 PM
webkit-fake-url://AD4F5179-E9B5-4554-8276-CBF885913BA0/imagejpeg
By duckguy - 9/24/2012 2:37:51 PM
My first gun was an 870 and I won an 877 from a DU event 2 years ago and I have shot a ton of clay pigeons 2 3/4" and dumped a lot of ducks and pheasants with it and NEVER had a problem with it.  This weekend was MN's opener and between shooting clays and ducks I put 200 rounds though it!  I don't know anything about Stoger, but Remington is a good gun to me!!
By Alex Hilburn - 9/24/2012 6:33:01 PM
Oh man, I hope I didn't get to this too late.  DO NOT BUY THE 887.  I bought one a couple years ago and its given me nothing but trouble.

DON'T DO IT!!
By Gunman21 - 9/26/2012 8:31:41 PM
To all those people bashing the 887. I have killed more ducks with that gun than any other gun and out of all my guns is the most dependable, even more than my Old 870. 
By flannel - 9/27/2012 7:18:37 PM
Gunman21 (9/26/2012)
To all those people bashing the 887. I have killed more ducks with that gun than any other gun and out of all my guns is the most dependable, even more than my Old 870. 

Oh.....so YOU'RE the one! :laugh:
By Gunman21 - 9/30/2012 4:44:36 PM
Im the one what... Being honest about how i have had the most success with that gun? 
By flannel - 10/1/2012 4:01:35 PM
No, youre the ONE person who owns the guns and hasn't bitched about what a piece of crap it is, that's all.
By ESutter - 10/1/2012 5:11:16 PM
flannel (10/1/2012)
No, youre the ONE person who owns the guns and hasn't bitched about what a piece of crap it is, that's all.

Well you figure there's got to be at least one or two more!
By flannel - 10/2/2012 2:21:11 PM
ESutter (10/1/2012)
flannel (10/1/2012)

Well you figure there's got to be at least one or two more!

Good point, I forgot to allow for that margin of error!
By jerbehr - 1/21/2013 1:14:55 PM
I had a Stoeger 2000 and it worked great for me.